Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday, July 13, 2007

I got up today at 9, got ready, and ate my normal breakfast (two cups of really hot chocolate, two slightly stale media lunas, and tostadas with dulce de leche. I just stayed around the apartment until noon reading the rest of Job, writing in my journal, and catching up on a few emails. It was a cold day, but not ridiculously cold. It is never bitter cold here because it is not usually below freezing.

We only had twelve students in our class today because most of the class is at Iguazú.
We read a comic strip by an Uruguayan artist and spent a lot of time talking about different subjects that came up as we talked. We learned a lot of random vocabulary words. During the lunch break, I used the computer and then ate in the classroom. The lunch break was a lot longer than normal. No one even came into the classroom until 10 minutes past when class should have been starting and we didn’t get started until 2:50 instead of 2:30! I wrote more in my journal while I waited. We were in a different room today on the same floor. It was nice to have a change of the view out the window. I talked to the girls who sit off to the side in our normal room. They are from Grace College and one of them knows Patricia’s sister! They live really far away from the university. They are the only students I have met here who don’t drink! Yay! We worked on the different verbs that mean “to become” because in Spanish there are many options. We talked a little more about the movie and had our short break about 4:30. After that, we listened to a song by another Uruguayan named Jorge Drexler and talked about the vocabulary in the song. She gave us more homework for Monday which I don’t really understand because all the people at Iguazú won’t have it! Oh, well!

After class, I went to the ISA office and spent a little over an hour on the computer there. I left when it closed at 7 and wandered along Cabildo on the opposite side than I normally walk. I looked in several little stores. All the winter clothes are on sale. I bought a cool scarf that is mostly green with other colors in it, too. I also found an Amber skirt that is brown (much better than olive green!) and it only cost half the amount of the other one! I love the fact that you can try on clothes here! I tried it on and it fit, so I bought it. It was funny because they put it in a clear plastic bag and tied it with a piece of orange twine. They then put it in a little black tote bag. I also went to the grocery store and bought some cookies to pack in my lunch. I got back a little before 8.

I showed Fani my skirt and she liked it a lot. She got my dinner ready and then I ate. I had soup, lots of raviolis, fresh shredded carrots and REAL cucumber (hurray!), and leftover “lemon pie” from when her granddaughter visited. It was a good meal, but kind of depressing because Fani was telling me how she was going to feed me my favorite things this week because it was my last week. She almost started crying as she was telling me this. She said that she should soon know about the new girl she will get and she apologized for kicking me out of my room on Saturday. I think I have to have all of my things out and have the room clean by 9:30 or so in the morning. My plane doesn’t leave until 9:25 that night. Fani told me I can put my suitcases in the “living.”

After dinner, I tidied my room and brushed my teeth. Fani went to bed and I practiced my limbo (i.e. took a shower). I am looking forward to a hot shower so much! I checked my email and wrote this blog. I need to write more to catch up from Córdoba and pick out the 100 pictures I want to get printed before I leave. When I bought my new camera, I got a coupon for 100 free prints so I need to burn my pictures to a CD so I can take them in on Monday. I still don’t know what I am going to do tomorrow. I might go to a museum.

No comments: